The Social Responsibility Group meets quarterly and looks at many different areas of Church life. Some of these areas are detailed below:
Eco-Church is an award scheme for churches who want to demonstrate that the gospel is good news for God’s Earth.
To obtain an award, Churches need to complete an online survey to assess how they are caring for God’s Earth in four specific areas. Based on the Church’s activities, the score builds up in those areas and results in either a bronze, silver or gold award. Overall, St Paul’s has a bronze award, even though we achieved silver scores in two areas.
Examples of some of our actions are:
- Some services have a care for creation focus (2018 Harvest Festival). Others encourage lifestyle changes such as walking or cycling to church (2018 Outdoor Service).
- The Church gardens are managed in an environmentally-friendly way, LED lighting has replaced the spot lamps in Church and fuel is from a renewable resources company.
- For the local community, the Parish Hall is a Level 1 Emergency Centre.
- For our Global commitment, we support Christian Aid week collections and are a Fairtrade Church. We also have Mission Partners through the Church Mission Society and Wycliffe Bible Translators.
Despite the limitations of an old building and the cost of change, we need to work in all areas to make progress in our awareness.
St Paul’s has regularly given a part of its income to support other Christian and secular organisations working locally, nationally and overseas. In addition, we have a basket in Church to receive gifts for the Olive Branch, the local Food Bank.
The Social Responsibility Group work with the Parochial Church Council to identify worthwhile charities. The charities we have supported, each receiving a donation of £300 per year, are:
- Locally: The People’s Cafe, Christ Church Night Shelter and Lancaster Samaritans.
- Nationally: The Children’s Society and Church Action on Poverty.
- Internationally: Christian Aid, Christian Blind Mission, Church Mission Society and Wycliffe Bible Translators.
If you would like to learn more please contact Arton Medd through the Parish Office.