Parish of St Paul’s Scotforth Safeguarding Policy – Promoting a Safer Church
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 6th July 2021.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the
- Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Mrs Jayne Weatherill as the Parish Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent …….Revd Dr Rebecca Aechtner……………………………
Churchwardens …..Tony Walker………Jayne Weatherill………………
Date: 6th July 2021
Parish Safeguarding Officer
Jayne Weatherill is our Parish Safeguarding Officer. She is the first person to speak to if you have any concerns around the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult.
You can contact Jayne on 07986993007 or by email.
For further information:
Sharon Hassall, Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Contact: 07711 485170 or 01254 503415 or email.
CCPAS 24 hour helpline: 0845 120 4550
Childline: 0800 1111
Parentline Plus: 0808 800 2222